New and prospective grant writers frequently ask me what I do to optimize success:
Research, identify and develop leads for private and corporate foundation grants
- Use Foundation Search and Grant Station databases and industry resources to match foundation goals with project funding goals.
- Make personal connections with foundation personnel to assess possibility for funding.
- Schedule in-person meetings or conference calls as appropriate.
- Maintain lead and grant tracking system.
- Organize and prioritize what grants to apply for when.
Write and submit letters of inquiry and grant proposals
- Work with project manager or team to develop project summary, budget, goals and outcomes.
- Maintain tracking system for follow up.
- When funded, send thank you letter and provide recognition as appropriate.
- When not funded, follow up to learn and to determine future action.